See that girl in the picture above? That smile on her face…FAKE! She may have appeared to be smiling on the outside but deep down she did not love herself. It was a struggle for her to look in the mirror and though she’s always been confident in herself but she did not like her body.
As well all know weight gain can happen from a variety of reasons whether it be due to depression, lack of motivation, or food has become an addiction to the person. Those little cravings that we get for our favorite foods end up becoming huge cravings and then BOOM! We have a problem and the scale won’t stop going up! Whatever the reason may be, once those pounds start adding up, we convince ourselves that it’s hard to lose the weight. With that mindset, that’s really where the lack of motivation comes in along with getting a little too comfortable with that lifestyle. For those of you who have been following me for a while, as you all know I’m a huge advocate for self love. You should love yourself no matter what size you are. However, once you start developing health issues due to your weight, that’s when alarms should start sounding off in your head that you have a huge problem. At that point it’s up to you to decide what to do about it. You can either push yourself to get those pounds up or do nothing about it. You can complain all you want but if you’re not being proactive about your situation then nothing is going to change. That’s why I decided to come up with this article and go into detail of how I went for 230 to 176 pounds. This journey has not been easy and the results did not happen overnight but I can do it then so can you!
Watch What You Eat
If I could eat 3 things for the rest of my life and not gain any weight from it, those 3 things would be: donuts (maple bacon or chocolate glazed), decadent seafood boils, and hot wings (with tons of sauce!). OMG! My mouth is watering right now thinking about those things but alas I know I can’t have them. I swear life just ain’t right sometimes!
Watch what you eat and control your portion sizes. Let me go ahead and put you guys on to a little something. The KEY to losing weight and maintaining your figure is to be in a CALORIE DEFICIT. This is very important to getting those pounds to just melt off. Yes, excerise is important too but all that work you put in at the gym will end up going to waste if you keep on snacking. Remember just because it looks good, that does not mean that it is good for you. With that being said, here is another trick that I’m going to put you on to. Here’s what I want you to start doing and getting in the habit of. Flip the back of the box or package over and pay close attention to the serving size. If it says you can only have 20 chips or 2 cookies, then darnit that’s what you eat! Starting out I know it maybe hard to get used to but trust me it gets easier as time goes on. It all starts from the mental! Put it into your mind that you cannot go above the recommended serving size and unnecessary calories can hinder your success. Still hungry? Eat heart healthy fruits and vegetables. Not only are they good for you but they will definitely keep you feeling full and satisfied.
Eat This..Not That
We all get cravings from time to time but did you know that you can still satisfy those cravings with healthy substitutes? “How?” you ask? Let me show you!
- If you’re anything like me, I have a weakness for sweets! Instead of turning to my favorite sweet treat I’ll substitute with fruit. You still get that sweet sugary goodness that you’ve been craving but with less calories and sugar.
- Greasy chips? EWWW! A great substitute for that would be multigrain chips and salsa. Great for a mid afternoon snack and of course..NO GREASY FINGERS!
- Smoothies have been a great help for me on this journey. They are not only a great substitute for ice cream or milkshakes when you’re craving them, but they also work great as meal substitutes.
- Put down that can of sugary soda and reach for either flavored seltzer water or soda water instead. Walmart has an excellent selection of those to choose from btw. My favorite would have to be the coconut pineapple flavor.
- You haven’t lived until you substituted Lettuce for hamburger buns. I don’t know what it is about “Lettuce Buns” but it somehow makes burgers taste even better. 🤷🏾♀️Also if you love spaghetti, to avoid those extra carbs try Zoodles instead of Noodles. You get that same noodlely goodness minus the carbs and unneeded calories.
As mentioned above, excersise plays a pretty important role with getting that scale down to a desirable number that you would like to see. Now remember, when it comes to working out you must be consistent and constantly push yourself to do better. Once you get to a certain point where the excerise is becoming too easy for you (which will most certainly happen) challenge yourself to do more reps, go up about 10 more pounds, and most importantly KEEP GOING. I don’t care how much it hurts! When you feel a little soreness, that’s when you know you are getting in a good workout. Now I’m not saying push yourself until your body literally begins to break but a little bit of pain alright. As the saying goes, no pain no gain! Work thought it to get the body that you both want and deserve.
Not to toot my own horn ( TOOT TOOT!), but I’ve gotten to a point now where 2 workouts a day does not phase me. Honestly it’s now as hard as you would think it would be. Reason being it because I space them out by a few hours. Now I’m not saying you have to do this but it has certainly been a huge help for me. Here’s an example of what my workouts typically look like.
- After arriving home from work, I’ll eat a light snack, get dressed for the gym, and then head out. Once I arrive, I head straight for the treadmill and run for about 4.5 miles for an hour.
- Fast forwarding to around 11pm or 12am, I turn on YouTube and search for “Hip Hot Fitness with Mike Peele”. I love to dance and these videos are really what inspired me to get back into working out again. Not only are the dances fun but I also love the words of positivity given at the end of each video. I’ll do that for 1 session which is typically 30 minutes long and then move on to kettlebell squats and abs. For each workout I do 4 sets of 15 and man my abs and booty will be on fire after that workout!
Now, I’m not saying you have to do 2 workouts in order to lose weight. I love good challenge, so for me it’s fun to see how far I can push myself. Do what works for you! If you can build yourself up to 2 workouts a day, great! If not, that’s ok too! Remember this is not a race. Take it slow, try new things and techniques in order to see what works best for you.
Stop Comparing Yourself To Others
Just because John Smith or Jane Doe lost 100 pounds in 3 months, does not mean the same thing will happen go you. Please do yourself and favor and stop comparing yourself to others. This fitness journey that you are on is 100% personal. All you’d end up doing is both mentally and potentially physically hurting yourself in the long run. Self sabotage is a great way to ruin all of the good things that you have going for yourself. The weight that you lost will end up coming back because you’ve given up yourself because you feel that you are not getting the results that you are looking for quick enough. This is a road that you definitely don’t want to go down on because you may not come back if you are not MENTALLY strong enough. Remember, you don’t know that person has been through to get to lose weight that quickly. For all you know they could be really sick and are slimming down due to loss of appetite from their illness OR they could be starving themselves from an eating disorder. Harsh reality, but things like this really do happen. Just keep on doing what you’re doing and focus on YOU. As long as you continue to watch what you eat and get the adequate amount of exercise that you need, you will get there. It may take sometime, but remember weightloss does not happen overnight.
For those of you who are on your own weightloss journeys, how many pounds have you lost so far and what did you do to get there?Feel free to leave a comment below.