Social Anxiety: Don’t Allow It To Control Your Life

Social anxiety is a lot more than just being shy. You may experience symptoms such as:

• Feelings of intense fear and nervousness around people or large crowds
  • Negative thoughts
  • That awful feeling of people watching and judging you
  • Panic Attacks
  • Elevated heart rate
  • Shaking
  • Slow thought process causing you to stumble over your words
  • Avoiding eye contact when speaking with someone

It is a horrible mental illness to deal with and can often times get in the way of you living your best life. You’ll find yourself avoiding social situations and everyday activities just to feel “safe” in your own mind. People may even judge you and call you weird or rude just because you are not engaging in conversation with them. Little do they know, you are absolutely scared out of your mind and too stuck in your own head to speak to them. This can just make things worse for yourself because now you will have this stuck in your head wondering why or what you did to be judged. Your thoughts are now starting to race with the feeling of your heart beating out of your chest and OH NO! NOW YOU’RE HAVING A PANIC ATTACK! If any of this resonates with you, trust me you are not alone! I know it sucks but you cannot allow it to take over your life!

Take control of your life by following these tips below:

Force Yourself To Converse With Others!

One of the best ways to overcome social anxiety would be to literally force yourself to converse with others and no you DO NOT need to be under the influence to do so. I know it’s much easier said than done but trust me on this one! The more you open yourself up to people, the easier it will be for you to socialize.

Breathe! Don’t Panic!

So as you’re walking around in the grocery store, you start to feel awkward and all of a sudden you feel like there are a bunch of eyes on you. The best response is to panic right? WRONG! What we are not about to do is have a panic attack right in the middle of the store! Instead just breathe in and breathe out. Remain calm and take control of the situation before it’s too late!

Take a Good Look At Your Surroundings!

Relax, take a deep breath, and take a good look at your surroundings. You will come to the realization that no one is either watching or judging you. Even if they are who cares? If someone is watching you, let them! What that means is that more than likely, there is something that they like about you and that could be a huge confidence booster to yourself . Take it as a compliment and go on about your business. Keep your head up and think nothing but positive thoughts! When you constantly keep your head down, you won’t be able to see just how beautiful the world is around you . Which brings me to my final tip…

Be Confident!

Confidence is definitely key in this situation! It will allow you to overcome the anxiousness of being in social situation and you definitely will feel a lot better. When speaking to someone try practicing this:

• Look the person directly into their eye when your are speaking to them
  • Take time to think about what you are going to say before you say it and speak slowly.
  • If you feel yourself getting nervous, remain calm and tell yourself this: I’m a Barbie girl, in the Barbie Wooorrrlldddd!!!”

Come on now, ya’ll should know by now that I had to add a dose of silliness into this, but I bet this last tip will help you overcome your anxiousness! Instead of worrying, you’ll be laughing! Sure you might look crazy smiling to yourself but it’s a much better feeling than the fear that comes along with social anxiety!

In conclusion, having social anxiety does not mean that you have to limit yourself. With that being said, get out there and show the world that you are a superstar! Rise above your illness and don’t let it hold you back from enjoying your life.

One thought on “Social Anxiety: Don’t Allow It To Control Your Life

1. November 22, 2019 at 9:59 am

I love this. Thank you. A great reminder. It takes work but it can be done.

Liked by 2 people

• November 22, 2019 at 1:18 pm

Absolutely! As long as you put forth the effort to step outside your comfort zone 🙌🏾

Liked by 1 person

2. November 22, 2019 at 2:37 pm

We must rise above our fear! Great inspiring post. Thanks a lot for this reminder.

Liked by 2 people

• November 22, 2019 at 2:40 pm

Yes indeed! I’m glad to hear that my post was inspiring to you 🙂

3. November 22, 2019 at 2:41 pm

Beautiful post, very helpful for me. I don’t have social anxiety but I find little bit uncomfortable when I go at some functions, parties

Liked by 3 people

• November 22, 2019 at 2:57 pm

Thank you! I’m happy to hear that it was helpful to you! I know the feeling and I don’t like it either. The only way to overcome that feeling is to just get yourself out there and socialize with people. I find that anytime I conquer a fear like that, I feel great afterwards and people aren’t so scary anymore lol

4. larapassaro
    November 22, 2019 at 4:06 pm

I have social anxiety since I was a child, oftentimes people don’t understand how much work we have to do to feel confident

Liked by 2 people

• November 22, 2019 at 4:12 pm

They really don’t! Social anxiety can definitely get in the way of life and can make “simple, everyday” things difficult to deal with. I’m sure if the people who tend to judge and misread our actions took a walk in our shoes, they would realize that this illness is no joke and we are the way we are for a reason.

5. Poovanesh
    November 22, 2019 at 5:43 pm

Such an encouraging points. It’s important to try to get out irrespective of how anxious you are just to break the cycle if nothing else.

Liked by 3 people

• November 22, 2019 at 5:54 pm

Absolutely! Being anxious all the time does nothing but cause misery and you miss out on so much in life because of it.

6. Ashley_STW
    November 23, 2019 at 2:50 am

Great reminder! Just Breathe!

Liked by 3 people

7. November 23, 2019 at 3:00 am

Social anxieties are increasing and with it our social interaction, thinking about others in the scheme of things is decreasing, self-centredness and egocentric tendencies are having a field day. All these factors are impacting out day to day lives.

Your blog is really more relevant today.

Liked by 2 people

8. December 12, 2019 at 1:21 pm

It’s really not easy having social anxiety. It’s a really debilitating mental illness, crippling for some. Fortunately, help is available, even if it does take ages to access.

Liked by 2 people

• December 12, 2019 at 1:28 pm

I definitely agree with you on that; it can really get in the way of life sometimes

9. June 4, 2020 at 5:33 am

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article. I?ll be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I?ll definitely return.

10. June 4, 2020 at 7:13 pm

Wow, wonderful blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is great, let alone the content!

11. June 20, 2020 at 8:53 pm

There is certainly a great deal to find out about this subject. I love all of the points you’ve made.